Report an Incident

Report An Incident

CCHS is the only humane society in Columbiana County. One humane agent serves our whole county. We receive no government funding. Humane societies are governed by ORC 1717 which can be found here.

To report a situation where you feel a companion animal is being neglected or abused, call our humane agent at 234-575-1400, please email, or fill out the form below. We MUST have a physical address in the report. If you cannot find the house number, list the house numbers on either side. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Who investigates animal cruelty and neglect?

CCHS employs a humane agent who has been certified through the State of Ohio and appointed by Columbiana County’s Probate Court to enforce Ohio animal protection laws (ORC 959). Our services are supported entirely through donations/fundraising.

What is the difference between the humane society and the dog warden? 

The dog warden handles the following types of calls: Dogs running at large (strays), dog license and rabies vaccination enforcement, nuisance/dangerous/vicious dogs as it relates to O.R.C, injured stray dogs, bite cases of stray dogs (owned dogs by request), lost and found dogs. The county dog warden is funded via sales of dog licenses.

The humane society handles the following: Complaints of animals being abused, starved, abandoned (when the animal is confined to a property), exposed to the elements, in need of veterinary treatment, and hoarding cases involving companion animals.

I’ve found a stray dog, can you pick it up/can I drop it off? 

CCHS does not take stray dogs at this time. By law, you must notify the dog warden of any stray. If it is during business hours, call the Columbiana County Dog Pound at 330-424-6663. If it is after hours, you may call your local police or, if you are able, keep the dog until the next business day and call the dog warden at that time. 

Can I surrender my pet to CCHS?

We do not accept owner surrenders at this time. We recommend contacting local rescues for assistance.

My neighbors moved out and left their animal behind. What should I do?

You can report it to our humane agent at 234-575-1400,, or via the contact form on our website. Our humane agent will come out, evaluate the situation, and post a notice for contact. If contact from the homeowners isn’t made, we will pursue legal means to get the animals out of the home.

Can’t you just break the window/door and take them?

No, that would be a violation of the law. If we need to enter a residence and the owner is not there to give permission, we must obtain a search warrant.

There are stray cats living in my neighborhood. Will you come to get them?

At this time, CCHS does not take stray cats. We recommend that you participate in a TNR (trap neuter return) program and stop the cycle of reproduction. Both Alleycat Spay & Neuter Clinic and Angels for Animals have programs that can help you get them fixed at affordable prices. There are local cat rescues that may be able to help you but please be aware that there is no agency that will take stray cats and “promise” to not euthanize them. Stray cats are a community problem that can be improved through spay/neuter.

I have a problem with wildlife such as raccoons, opossums, bunnies, etc.? Who do I call? 

We recommend visiting Ohio Department of Natural Resources website and following their advice.

Follow us

Get Involved

Columbiana County Humane Society is a 501C3 non-profit. Thank you for your support!

Contact Us


1825 S. Lincoln Ave. 
PO Box 101
Salem, OH 44460